The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Day 24 - 28 Chev Ute Restoration (4th July 2015)


Another few steps today, and getting closer to the end of the dirty work.

After 4 weeks of soaking I took the first load of parts out of the molasses bath, and reloaded it with the 4 cross members from the original chassis plus a few other bits and pieces.

I had been made aware that as soon as parts are taken out of molasses and high pressure cleaned they can start to rust immediately. The option of painting a heap of parts on a cold wet Melbourne winters day was not my preferred choice, so I came up with another solution.

Drying the parts after the high pressure wash, I wiped them down with Rustbuster. Perfect, as it took away the rust stains that had developed after just 35 minutes and left the surface a nice shade of gun metal grey.

Todays pictures are below.






No comments:

Post a Comment