The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 27 - 28 Chev Ute Restoration (20th July 2015)

Now that's a nice surprise.

I thought I would strip the stub axles of both the bent ute front axle and the spare, to at least remove one axle to the spares graveyard.

I stripped the spare axle first, knowing that the king pins would need at least re-bushing, most probably replace the pins as well.



I then stripped the stub axles off the bent front end, surprised to see the king pins had been replaced recently, mileage wise that is. I can see and measure virtually no signs of wear on the pins, and may have to ream the bushes a fraction, as they are a slightly binding.

The front brake lever pivot points on the bent axle are also very serviceable and will be used.

So providing the stub axles were not bent in a previous crash, its a bonus, if not, well I have plenty of spare stub axles and a few sets of king pin.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment