The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

25th April 2012. Time to Restore Order in the Chev Shed

Not much of a day weather wise. I was not planning to do much at all today, but it got to about 3.00 pm and I thought "its time to clean up the Chev shed, and return some sense of order to the workshop"

For the last week or so I had been constructing a gate for the front veranda, to make it grand child proof and then dog proof. For some reason they all seem to want to run away. Only joking, the dog comes back when she is hungry. Anyway, lots of cutting, planeing, etc has seen the shed and all contents, including the Red Chev covered in saw dust and shavings.

So its out in the rain for the Red Chev, and into it. Within an hour or so everything was under control, and the Red Chev was washed, polished and back inside its home for the last 31 years.

My humble shed may only be 6 x 6 metres, but over the years has seen an enormous amount of work, mostly Chev related. The 2007 restoration for my daughters wedding saw me in the shed for up to 40 hours per week for over 6 months.

Back in the late 1990's, early 2000's the Chev was pushed outside every night while I did a rebuild on a smashed commodore for my son, including replacing the complete front and a full respray. That's another story for another time, but come to think of it, I did the same type of rebuild on a smashed UC Torana for my wife back in the early 90's.

Can you see a pattern of behaviour forming, of course not.

Two Holden (GM) 6 cylinder engines joined to the transmission have been removed and refitted without the use of an engine crane or overhead lifting device. How did I do it? Ask me and I will let you know.

Many a late night over the years has been very productive. With door closed, 5 x double fluro lights blazing away, and the stereo on, you would be amazed how much work could be done in a few hours. I have had the same neighbours all this time.Their bedroom window is less than 10 feet from the shed, so I have always been careful not to use power tools late at night or have the stereo up to late after about 10 pm, except on a rainy night, when with the noise of the rain on the tin roof, all bets were off.

Anyway thats enough talking, a few pictures of todays activity follow

The shed cleaned, hosed out, but something is missing?


Thats it, the Red Chev






My other passion, sometimes. Bike riding


As I say, order has been returned. It may not look like it, but.


The neccessary supply of paints, chemicals, oils etc.


Not a bad view on a sunny day, cars excluded.


The poor Red Chev, left out in the rain.


Just a minute.


Now thats a bit better, a towel down and polish


All is well with the world



No comments:

Post a Comment