The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Day 74 - 28 Chev Ute Restoration (2nd December 2015)

In three hours tonight new bearings were pressed onto the axle shafts, locked up tight and ready to go.

I use fully sealed bearings as they give significantly more protection from oil and or grease coming through the inner seal, then the outer felt seal and taking out the brakes. Not nice and very expensive.

Also with fully sealed bearings there is no need to pump grease into the bearing housing.

The project is moving along very nicely at the moment.

I also made the decision that I am over having to raise the bench press on bricks or blocks to press on axle bearings, not to mention other jobs where excessive bending is required.

I have booked my welding neighbor to come over and extend the press frame n the next few days. Both myself and my back will be very grateful.






No comments:

Post a Comment