The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

2011 - 2nd November - Fitting Front Seat Belts (Again)

When the Red Chev was first put on the road I had the incorrect rear springs fitted.

We would hit a decent bump or drive over railway lines and the kids would bounce around like they were on a trampoline. They thought it was great fun, but for some reason their mother was a bit concerned on a few occasions when they hit the roof.

 I decided to fit seat belts, but being a bit rough in those days they were installed through holes in the floor, bolted directly to the chassis.
When I was doing the mini restoration for my daughter's wedding in 2007 they were removed as I knew they were not correctly fitted.

The road worthy guy told me if seat belts were installed he was obliged to check and test them to modern regulations, including the fitting points. So out they came.

Now that I am doing a lot more miles on the open roads, both myself and passengers (such as my wife, who said she would not ride in the Red Chev again until belts are fitted) would feel more comfortable to have some basic form of restraint.

This time around they are fitted 100% ridgy didge. I have bolted 75mm x 5mm flat steel strip to the chassis, which thems comes up through the floor to be the belt anchoring points.

These photos show the 3 slots in the under seat tray for the 75mm x 5mm flat steel strip to come through.



The raw 75 x 5 mm steel strip is bent with a bit of heat and drilled, and test fitted onto the chassis.





All painted and ready for fitting.



The three seat belt anchorage points run through the floor under the front seat and are attached to the chassis cross member with 3 x 10mm bolts for each anchorage point.




Belts fitted, seat back into position, ready to roll.




No comments:

Post a Comment