The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

28 Chev Truck Restoration

From the site of

http://www.kingtrips.net/projects/1928chevrolet.html

1928 Chevrolet Flatbed truck Restoration
My First Restoration


My Grandpa gave me this truck when I was just 17 with the condition that I would restore it and he would help. This was long before the days of digital photos so I don't have the job chronicled like I wish I did.

I think that probably explains why I'm so anal about taking pictures of everything now. I hate explaining things without photo backup. My years as a Technical Writer enforced the old saying: "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I Was Seventeen and Still in High School:

That's Me Driving The Truck at about Fourteen
(We All Learned to Drive at Eleven)

 
That's My Brother Bill Driving
We Used it For Creating Fire Breaks,
Hauling Water Tanks, and Other Work

 
Grandpa at the Wheel, Me Running Alongside
In the Background is the Dam Grandpa
Had Made - A Nice Sized Lake Too

 
Dad Sitting in it While Parked
at Our Old House on Cecelia Terrace

 
Dad Joined By His Beagle Hawkeye

 
4-Cylinder Powerplant Made it Hard to
Keep the Front End on the Ground - Not!


 
View of the Cab Showing all the Luxurious Accessories
Rare View of My 1969 Ford Van in the Background

 
Yeah, I Think "Beverly Hillbillies" Too

 
From the Rear - Good View of the Wood Spoke Wheels
1960 Plymouth Wagon & 1969 Ford Van in the Background

 
View of the The Old Bed

 
Yep - That's the Gas Tank Under the Seat

 
View of the Engine (1960 Plymouth in the Background)

 
Grandpa Wes & Father-in-Law Fer in the Background

 
Tried to Pound it Out to Avoid Using a Lot of Bondo,
But it's a Real Truck, Made out of Real Steel - Very Tough

 
Lots of Primer & Bondo

 
Lots of Primer & Bondo

 
Good View of the New Redwood Bed (Fer in the Background)

 
With the Backboard Added

 
The Backboard - Very Scratched-Up Old Photo

 
One of the Few Pictures of it Finished
The Reel is From SDG&E - Don't Remember Why, Though


The Only Picture of the Front of the Finished Truck




No comments:

Post a Comment