The purpose of this Blog

This blog is to detail my 50 years (1973 - 2023) with a 1928 Chevrolet tourer, affectionately called "The Red Chev".

The acquisition, restoration, improvements and my experiences over the years are covered in as much detail as I can remember.

Some of the later postings include car club outings and other vintage car items that I hope will be of interest to people.

If you have the time, scroll back to where it all began in 1973 and follow the journey so far.

Thanks for dropping by.

Regards Ray Dean


See my new section "The Red Chev - Repairs, Improvements, Maintenance and Technical Details" located on the left hand side of the screen.




Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

2011 - October 25th - Zenith Carby Upgrade - Done, Dusted, Finished

Please to have finally put the job to bed, after a lot of fine tuning of linkages and the carby return spring.

I tuned the carby yesterday, which involves the normal idle adjustment screw, plus an additional adjustment which is set at running speed, 1800RPM (Boy did that make some racket in the Chev Shed)

The only real scare I had had during the whole process was straight after I tuned the carby and went for a test drive. The Red Chev was back firing badly every time I backed off or slowed down. Thinking I had stuffed up the tuning or something worse, I was relieved to find it was no more than the carby return spring not fully returning the throttle linkage to the idle position. However it took me several hours over 2 nights to get the combination of correct spring tension and accelerator pedal feel.

So far testing has indicated more power and better acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear, and in top gear seems quicker to reach 35 to 40 mph.

Fuel economy and hill performance are still to be determined, but as a general statement I believe the Red Chev will be a more pleasant car at highway cruising speeds.

The final few photos are as follows:

I was able to use the original crankcase ventilation tube with a bit of bending stretching etc.


 The carby return spring, mounting bracket and one of the rose joints that remove any metal to metal contact in the carby linkages.

You can probably see from these photos that both the carby and choke linkages can be on either side, and you can see 2 of the 3 fuel inlet ports. All in all a very flexible carby for many applications.



The extra linkage installed between the accelerator pedal and the engine block.


The welded, and polished fitting with the retaining screw into the carby body

No comments:

Post a Comment